Now that it’s fall, it’s time to bake those delicious apples into a sweet treat!
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (I like to do a combination of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 pie crusts (1 pack usually comes with both already)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar*
Let’s do it!:
Pull out pie crust from fridge; let it come to room temperature
In a small bowl combine flour, spices and sugars. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine whatever kind of apples you choose to use as well as lemon juice. Pour in sugar/flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until evenly coated.
Unroll pie crust (it’s best to let it come to room temperature so it’s easier to manipulate and roll out. Line a glass 9-in pie pan with the crust.
Fill pie with mixture. Place a pat of butter on top of mixture.
Unroll second pie crust and place over the top of the filling. Trim, seal and decorate as you desire (make sure you slit the crust if you are not doing a lattice design.)
Beat the egg white until frothy. Brush over the crust*. Loosely cover edges with foil to avoid burning.
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes then remove foil and set timer for an additional 20 minutes. Pull from oven and allow to cool to your desired temperature and enjoy!